Friday, April 16, 2010

drama queens

Have you ever had an experience where something not-so-fun happened to you and you said nothing. Maybe it was because you were so stunned that you didn’t know what to say, or maybe you had to bite your tongue.
Today, I had this experience when Karley got off the bus that has had me wishing I would have said something.
I was brought up to stand up for myself. Not to be sassy or rude, but when someone is treating you rudely or unfairly, to stand up, to speak up for yourself. This is something that I constantly try and teach Karley as well. Problem is, she is a lot more sensitive and shy than I ever was....almost to the point where she will take a whole lotta crap before she even tells me. I will see the effects of things LONG before she tells me whats really going on.
All i am going to say is I am SHOCKED at the mean things that kids can do. I think I am even more appalled that there are so many parents that don't know what-in-the-heck is going on. I am well aware that Karley isn't perfect and can be a little turd sometimes but my BIGGEST most absolute important issue is that she is nice to everyone and never makes fun of anyone.
Treat people the way you expect to be treated.
So, she comes home from school earlier in the week and asks me if she is popular.....
after about 2 minutes of me just sitting there stunned at this question my 6 year old just asked me i said:
"are you nice to people?"
she said: "yes but so-and-so told me that if you want to be popular you have to be rich and snobby to the not-so-cute kids."
WHAT IS GOING ON??????? I take another breather and go on:
"well karley, what do YOU think??"
she said: "i don't know but i don't want to be mean and are we rich?"
DOES EVERYONE REMEMBER SHE IS 6 YEARS OLD AND ASKING ME THIS? I AM GETTING REALLY MAD AT THIS POINT.
I say: "we are happy and have lots of friends we are nice to and are nice to us. If you have some friends at school that are telling you anything different then you need to find some new friends who will treat you AND everyone else nice. "
about 20 minutes go by and she said. Well, so-and-so and so-and-so had a word fight today (over who was the MOST popular) and they are supposed to get into a fight with their fists tomorrow.
HOLY JUNK....Now what do I do...
I will keep you posted.
Oh and FYI to those of you that say "This doesn't happen in MY school district." You have lost your mind. KIDS EVERYWHERE are mean. seriously, don't be that naive.

No comments:

Post a Comment