skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Pay it Foward
Tonight Karley and I are going out to shop for the rescue mission. This year they have an exceptionally long list of items that they are in need of in the form of donations and I think it's an awesome way to teach a lesson in giving back to others. Todd, Karley and I are very blessed and I am a big believer in the whole pay-it-forward message. I love the idea of paying for the car behind you at the drive through. I often buy fountain drinks for people in uniform who come into Kelly Express as well as take the time to thank them for all they do. I try even harder to let Karley see these random acts of kindness. I do it for a lot of different reasons. I don't want her to have the "only child syndrome". I want her to realize that she is fortunate but most of all I want to raise her to be a good person with a big heart. I grew up knowing that I was very fortunate....despite what people may believe, I didn't have many things just handed to me. I had to work for them. We try to raise Karley with the same morals and beliefs that I grew up with. She has chores where she does not get an allowance for but constant praise and, in turn, she rarely argues with us about these chores because it is just a part of life. With Christmas approaching and the decline in donations to so many wonderful organizations due to the economy we wanted to go a step further this year and really pay it forward.
I have been talking this shopping trip up all week to her and she is really excited. I have gone over the list of items they are asking for and we have selected some pretty awesome things to get. We will deliver the goodies later in the week and she will really be able to see that we are making a small impact to help those less fortunate than us.
Every night when we sit down to dinner at our house we play a game called HIGH-LOW. It is where we go around the table and talk about what our best and worst part of the day was. I have a feeling I already know what both of our HIGH's will be tonight.
I also have another surprise planned which can't be revealed at this time but I CAN"T WAIT to hear how awesome it will be. It feels so good to know you have contributed to the happiness of someone else. (I will post a full blog on this surprise next week!)
SO---to all of my 3 readers (haha!)....I am curious.....How do you pay it foward???
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I love it, Kel! Every year since high school I remember being involved (with my parents--mostly mom) in 'adopting' a family for Christmas. Usually we just sit back and let it happen...as in, we keep our ears perked for someone in need. It's no surprise that every single year we have NO problem finding some people who could use a little holiday cheer. We take them Christmas dinner, presents for the kids, etc. It's very nice to give gifts to people who truly are in need...it feels so much better than getting Johnny one of the 20 things he put on his wish list!
ReplyDeleteI also enjoy taking an angel or two off the tree and shopping for a little kiddo that I don't even know.
This year we adopted a family of 5...a single mom with 4 kids that live in Omaha. My cousin who lives and works there told us about them and we all pitched in to make it a wonderful time for them. I also made a monetary donation to St. Judes because every day and every night I thank the good Lord for a healthy baby...not everyone is as fortunate. We are truly blessed!
Enjoy your shopping event with Karley tonight!
Love it!!
ReplyDeleteOur military wife support group adopted a fellow military family struggling this year. We each took a member of the large family to shop for. I choose a 4 yr old girl as Briahna is 4 so she was my perfect helper!!
Her and I had SO much fun picking out all kinds of fun things for this little girl who's daddy is in the Army - just like Briahna's daddy. :)
VERY rewarding to see Briahna think of someone else....definatly something we will do each year and hopefully include Hailey once she understands.
Karley is such a sweetie - keep up the good work mom and dad!