Monday, December 13, 2010

Elf on the Shelf

Creepy. Yes. 
Amazing.  Double yes.
  Karley had an orthodontist appointment today so we went to Barnes & Noble where I found this.  I have heard from some of my friends how amazing this little guy is and I laughed at how ridiculous it sounded.  I have a pretty good kid but when the holidays come around she gets the case of the gimmes and the whinnies and the entitled attitud-ies.  Plus we suffer from staying up way too late and whining about EVERYTHING.  I try my hardest to teach her the true meaning of Christmas but she is 7 and sees every ad in the paper and every silly toy on TV and NEEEEEEDDDDDDSSSSS it.  UGH. 
So, today at Barnes and Noble I found this book and made a big, huge deal about it and how I wondered if she was old enough to learn about Santa's secret.  She was more than excited.  We sat down and read the book right there in the store and the look on her face was priceless.
I was willing to jump on the bandwaggon and give it a try. 
We brought it home, named it (buddy), and put him up on the shelf.  She swears that he turns his head and follows her around the room.  :)  The most amazing thing happened after Buddy was placed on the mantle.  Karley started acting like a true angel. No sass....no i-don't-want-to's..... She offered to do extra homework, help with the dishes and laundry and wrote a cute little letter to her teacher about how awesome she thinks she  is.  Tonight she told us she was ready for bed (at 7:30) and hit the sack on her own. 
One little elf made my day today. 


2 comments:

  1. Love it! You're the second friend I've had to post a blog about that silly elf. But what a cool tradition. Are you going to move him around every night after she goes to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU BET I WILL! I am telling you Sunni....this little man is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete