Friday, May 7, 2010

done. done. done

I was in at the school today running copies for karleys teacher and she told me that karley is not doing so hot on her AR (accelerated reading) tests. It wasn't a total shock---it is something that i have been noticing the past few weeks. She will come home with a score of 60% on a book that is leveled 1 (she reads at a higher level than this) where as in the beginning of the year up until a couple of weeks ago, she was flying through them with atleast 90%'s.

Not cool. Not happy and not going to fly.

Little missy and I had a good, long talk tonight after school followed by lots and lots of reading on her part and quizzing on my part. She told me she knows she isn't doing her best work at school and then wrote a note to her teacher telling her she will do better and how sorry she was. (she came up with and did this all by herself.) I couldn't be more proud.

I get it though....The shiny new school supplies I bought back in August are now old, worn out and boring. Karley gets spelling homework every week. She can spell words that amaze me and has the best memory because she has gotten a 100 on every.single.test.

Today, though, while I was there I looked at her spelling test (from earlier today) What I saw was sloppy handwriting, and a very, rushed through test.

It's like she doesn't even care. UGH!

not happy. not cool and not going to fly.

I realize it is the end of the school year and even I am so sick of work books, spelling test practicing and first grade math. I would rather have her get off the bus and play outside with all of her friends and it is soooooooo hard make her come in to take a bath and go to bed let alone do homework when the weather is nice.

I am actually done with school in general at this time of year too. Done with meetings, fundraising and homework. D-O-N-E.
Done with lunch money, snacks for the class, and Spelling tests.

3 weeks until summer though. 3 very, long weeks.

This whole parenting thing is so hard sometimes......
With that being said--I do know that since i have had a talk with karley she will do her best work the next few weeks. I think she was beginning to suffer from the
i-really-really-wish-this-school-thing-would-end-so-i-can-sleep-in-and-play-all-day idis.
I know I am!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, Karley isn't the only one who is done...teachers are as well:) So normal for this time of year! I get so tired of asking kids if they are really doing their personal best work, but only 14 school days left until summer!!

    ReplyDelete