Sunday, January 4, 2009

I am so sad to say that Megan McBride-Franz passed away today at 3:30. Her husband posted on her website an extremely emotional goodbye message. I copied and pasted it below......



“Gone From My Sight”

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side, spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and startsfor the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other. Then, someone at my side says,
'There, she is gone' Gone where? Gone from my sight. That is all.
She is just as large in mast, hull and spar as she was when she left my side. And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port. Her diminished size is in me -- not in her. And, just at the moment when someone says,
'There, she is gone,' there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, 'Here she comes!'
And that is dying...-Henry Van Dyke
Megan’s hospice nurse gave me a book, a pamphlet really, to help people know what to expect and be ready for as their loved one approaches death. The pamphlet talks about how much the patient will eat, how much they will sleep, and generally what to expect. The last page of this pamphlet was perhaps the most useful. It contained the above poem. As I read these words I felt like the author was speaking to my soul. I realized that although Megan is leaving all of us, she is beginning a new journey.
Megan Franz passed away at home this afternoon at about 3:30 PM. Her parents, brother Ted, Sister-In-Law Tiffany, and myself had the honor of sharing this celebration with her. Megan passed very peacefully, and I am sure that she heard our words of love, encouragement and peace as she left us.
I have lost my wife, I have lost my best friend. I have never experienced hurt like this, but I know time will heal the pain. I know this, because Megan taught me. She taught me many lessons through the time I have known her. The most important lesson she taught me was how to live life. Over the past 10 months all of you have made countless offers to help out in any way you could. Especially during the last month. Well, I have thought of something you can do for Megan. After your hurt heals, you can live your life the way she taught you to live it. You can love your spouse. You can love your life. You can look at each day as a gift and make the most of it. You can smile more, and frown less. You can Love. That’s what we all can do for Megan. Megan’s service will be held at Church of the Resurrection in Overland Park KS. Chances are the service will be at 3:00PM on Wednesday, but this time is yet to be set in stone. I will write another post when it is firmed up. Thank you all for your constant thoughts and prayers through this difficult time. I along with Tom and Meef, and our families couldn’t face it without you.
Much Love,
Alex Franz


I am so sad for their family. Please keep them all in your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be honest: I wasn't able to make it all the way through the message. I just wouldn't let myself keep reading. I'm so sorry for he & his family because it's very easy to see that they have lost a true treasure. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- I met a woman on a plane who worked for Cerner, was flying home from MD Anderson with her husband and was very, very sick. She had a patch on one eye. I never got her name and actually called HR at Cerner several times inquiring as to whether they had a foundation for her or any other way to help. They had none. Could this be Megan? I will pray for your friend in either case. It is just that sometimes in your life you meet someone who leaves a lasting impression on you. This woman did for me and it would give me great solace to know she is at rest in sahring in God's peace.
    My email is losredmonds@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete