Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cancer Sucks.....

So, yes. We have the flu.
I have been up a million times with Karley today watching her throw up in the toilet and doing what seems to be a thousand loads of laundry. I have been feeling sorry for us--feeling like nothing could be worse. Until I read a classmate from high school's blog update. I literally cried for the first time in I don't even know how long.....Here is the long story short. She is 30 years old and in March she was diagnosed with stage 4 Rectal cancer. She has had a blog since the diagnosis and has an amazing support system and strength that I am sure one can only hope for. I was thinking today as Karley and I were getting sick how we really ARE going to be okay. This will pass for us in a few days and life will go back to normal. For Megan, however, her recent blog is about how she keeps receiving bad news after bad news with this latest being one of the biggest blows yet. Over Thanksgiving break she had some painful bloating in her belly that made her look pregnant. She went to the ER and they told her it was nothing and will pass. After Thanksgiving she drove to Houston to see her oncologist and begin radiation (one of the many attempts to fight the cancer---none have been helpful so far) and the oncologist told her that he is worried that it is fluid in her abdomen. He was worried that her liver tumors were causing fluid to drain and there was even the possibility that the tumors were now attached to the inside of her abdomen and creating the fluid. BAD NEWS.....
She is scheduled for a CT scan tonight and I am sure she is scared out of her mind. Can you imagine being 30 and going through all of this? I am 30 and I would have lost my mind by now.
If anyone is interested, here is her website.....http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/meganfranz
Get your tissue box out......It's very heartbreaking.
I have often wondered why this sort of thing happens to people. Why did Todd's cousin's baby get cancer when he was an infant when his parents were the picture of health during the pregnancy. I don't even think she drank a coke the whole pregnancy and I call that AMAZING!! Reese is now cancer free but has a long road to go as far as catching up with other kiddo's his age. He does therapy and has the most wonderful parents with such patience. He is a cute little guy too....here is their blog if you are interested.
http://www.the-mousehole.net/Reese/ReeseHome.html
Life is not fair.

I gotta go make sure Karley is okay. She actually ate dinner (kind of) tonight and I am afraid of what the night might bring. However, as I said before, this too shall pass. We are lucky. No matter how much I bitch and moan about silly things I do know that I am lucky for all I have.
Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment