1. Life's Not Fair. Bad people often win. Good people often lose. Jack gets a Mercedes for his 16th birthday. You might be lucky to use the family's 10-year-old Accord. Jessica cheated on her test and got an A. You studied hard but ended up with a B-. Your friends get to stay up late to watch a TV special. You have to go to bed on time. Railing against the unfairness of it all won't help. That's not to say that you shouldn't fight against injustice. It's just that sometimes you won't win.
2. Be The Kind of Friend You'd Want as a Friend. And seek out those who know what being a friend is. Friends should be amazing and loyal. Not people who talk behind your back and treat you with no respect. But you can't have good friends until you're a good friend yourself. You'll outgrow some people and some people will outgrow you. But if you're holding up your end of the friendship, you could very well end up with friends who will be there your entire life.
3. Death Will Always Happen. And it will be so incredibly difficult to keep going on sometimes. Your parents will die. Friends will die. Your grandparents will die. We can hope that it doesn't happen for a very long time, but it will happen. Faith will see you through: faith that God will take care of the one who died and the ones who remain. While you go through it all you will wonder how you'll ever enjoy life again. But you will. You must.
4. Do Good Things for Others, Even Strangers. Karley sees me do this quite a bit. (She also hear me cuss out stupid drivers, (and neighbors!) but, hey, I never said I was perfect.) The bell ringers at all of the stores this time of year... we donate EVERY time. The person behind us in line with just an item or two? We let them cut. The poor dude trying to get out of the gas station and into traffic? We let them go in front of us. The "bad" kid at school whose parents seemed to have forgotten it was early release day? We let call him or her them on our cell phone and wait until he's picked up. Doing small deeds like these make you feel good. And don't we all deserve to feel good?
5. Value money less and put your family first. I want my child to not let her career dictate her time and define who she is. In fact, I feel very sorry for people who do this. (and believe me, I know a few!) People who think that they are important BECAUSE of their "title" at work or how much money they make.
Instead, I want her to live by the quote below:
"One hundred years from now, It won't matter what car I drove, What kind of house I lived in, How much I had in my bank account, Nor what my clothes looked like, But, the world may be a little better Because I was important in the life of a child."
I hope to teach her how to find joy in her family and friends, to find her happiness not in her workplace alone. I also hope to teach her to save more and spend less and to not have to continue upgrading her spending habits to match her earning increases. This could be the most difficult task of all! Take a look at me for example, I am a SAHM with a college degree (that I don't use at all.) I have so many "side jobs" that it equals a full time job. I work at a dentist office Mondays all day. Tuesdays I work at my dad's store and then mid-day I run over to Karley's school to volunteer for the afternoon. Wednesday's I am back at dad's store all day. Thursday's I clean at Mary and Adrian's house (I like to call this my down time) And Fridays I am back at Dad's store and usually, mid-day try to run over to the Dentist office to clean there. I never have enough hours in the day and am ALWAYS on the go. I will never regret the time that I spent with Karley as a baby, toddler and now little girl. I was so thankful that I didn't work full time--and we didn't need the money from me doing that. Don't get me wrong, I did (and do) have days where I wonder where I would be if I was still working for Menninger's. Would I be in management? Still a case worker? Who knows.....Looking back now, I wouldn't do anything different. I want her to be able to have the same opportunities that I have....and instill the insight to know that no matter what she does, she is important.So, my fellow blog followers, I am very interested in what you want my sweet Karley to know as she grows up.....Sunni, Jamie, Cyndi, Calli???? Any takers? Or does anyone even read this blog?? LOL
Nice call out:) I love those 5 things and I think more people need to read them. She just needs to be happy(which she is) and the rest will fall into place...that's my theory anyways!
ReplyDeleteOf course I'm reading. I love this one. Here's what I want for Karley girl (and my niece, too)~ I want them to somehow grow up with self- confidence and self-respect that can't be altered by another. In my adult life I've been amazed at how many women have such a low opinion of themselves. It breaks my heart! I want Karley to be confident and strong in her beliefs and to stand up for herself and to believe in her decisions because at the end of the day, if you don't believe in yourself...no one else will either. XOX
ReplyDelete